Thursday, June 14, 2007

Depression and Teens

CONFUSED AND LONELY TEEN SUFFERS CHRONIC DEPRESSIONDEAR ABBY: I am 17 years old and believe I am suffering from chronic depression. I am very emotional and cry a lot. I get good grades, and people say I'm a great baby sitter, but I feel that I'm not good at anything else. My younger sister, who is 15, is very outgoing and has a lot of friends. I have only a few, so I get jealous. Now I have started gaining weight to the point that I am no longer "skinny." About four months ago, my best friend of two years and I stopped getting along, and we haven't spoken since. I have had counseling for two years. I go every three months, but nothing is changing. Both my parents feel that it is a waste of money. I try to talk to them sometimes, but they just take it as a joke. I am confused about everything, and I am so lonely. Do you have any advice? --
HURTING IN PENNSYLVANIA
DEAR HURTING: Yes, I do. Depression, increasing isolation and low self-esteem are problems that require counseling on a more regular basis than every three months, and possible medication in addition. If the person you are seeing hasn't recognized that the sessions haven't helped you, then it's time for another evaluation with another therapist. Please show this to your parents and tell them the letter was written by you. You need more help than I can give you in a letter.
Depression is a major problem with teenagers and even now some children are experiencing it! We need to be on the watch for children and teen agers that might be experiencing depression ! One of the top killers of our teenagers is suicide. Where does suicide start? Usually it starts with some form of depression. As an adult be the one that will provide the opportunity for a teenager to have an avenue of escape from depression.

What makes this blog worth your time?

"Providing Opportunities" is a blog that will be worth your while to browse at least once a week for ideas that might work for you as you seek to better the world for the youth of t0day. As you check this blog you will find out information about this class that will inspire you, inform you and may give you ideas. This blog will be different in that if ideas are given as as a post and they seem to warrant letting others know about them then they will be posted with credit given for the source. Stephen Covey the famous author stressed the idea of "synergy" and those accomplishing more together than working seperately. This blog can accomplish synergy which provides a resource which Dr. Harry Wong states is the best way for any teacher to learn which is to "steal ideas" from other teachers and use them. "Providing Opportunities" can only work if others will submit their ideas that they have either used or seen used that worked.
add'>http://technorati.com/faves?sub=addfavbtn&add=http://providingopportunities.blogspot.com>Add to Technorati Favorites
View blog authority
Technorati Chart

Making a difference today...will provide a better tommorrow!

Making a difference today...will provide a better tommorrow!
Providing Opportunities today changes a tommorrow!